Monday, February 7, 2011

My plan

So I want to be a motivational speaker....

What I would like to do for my 'thesis' is actually develop my own motivational training program. To accomplish this I will:

  • Film 4- 30 minute videos- These videos are meant to be creative and entertaining as well as a way for me to teach my material. I am considering doing a few shorter video segments as marketing methods that I can use on the internet and in my short seminars to bring in clients for a larger training program and to get more speaking opportunities. I might then instead do 2 half hour videos and three or four 10-15 minute videos.
  • Prepare 4 one hour speeches/seminars also to bring in clients for a longer training program. For my end product I will have written copies of the speeches but more importantly I will record them digitally to show my work as a performer. The material is important, but I will need to find my stage and speaking style in a way that engages people in what I am saying. To show my progress I will record different versions of each speech so that my progress can be monitored.
  • Create and implement a marketing plan as a motivational speaker. To be able to charge people money for speaking I will need to build a reputation so my first performances will probably be for free.
Note: I already have material that I need to only develop further into finished products. My overall topic and theme is: Time and Energy Investing. I will use principles of Economics, Leadership, and Psychology to teach people how to get the greatest returns by analyzing the strategies of how one invests his or her time and energy. This program takes time and energy management a step further by emphasizing the analysis of one's resource (time and energy) allocation.

Help I need:
  • The filming part- I could use my digital camera and have my wife film it, but are there film students at UVU that need a project to film? Can I pay someone to do it for me? How much would that cost?
  • The recording part. My early versions will be done on cheap recording technology but I would like my finished product to be recorded in a studio. Where? How? How much?
  • Practice audiences: In the next few weeks I will have my rough speeches done and would like to practice them. I realize that a lot of my practice will be done in front of the mirror. However, if anyone knows of any speaking opportunities or needs some motivation and would like to listen and give feedback on my materials, please let me know.
Next week:

Implementation plan & timeline.

10 comments:

  1. I'm excited! You already motivate me. I can't wait to see that talent of yours channeled in this way. This is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! I like how you have thought to ask for UVU students to help film your project. I will let you know if I hear of anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if you have a "target audience" for your Time and Energy Investing speeches, but the offer I made Drew i'd be happy to extend out to you. I work with at-risk youth in state's custody ages 13ish-21 who need all the help they can get. Time management is one of the life skills we try to teach them, along with every other life skill we can. The clients (aka kids) have to attend something called PRS (Psychosocial Rehabilitative Services) therapy for 1 1/2 hours-ish every Monday and Tuesday. (Monday is DCFS & JJS kids, Tuesday is just JJS kids.) Don't let the word "therapy" scare you, it's just life skills. They attend individual therapy and group therapies every week already, this is just some weird program the state made us start doing because of the pay cut they did for our proctor parents. (The state is so cheap!) Anyways... if you want an audience of at-risk youth to try your motivation speech/speeches on, I can have them all rounded up every Monday and Tuesday. There is someone at my work that regularly teaches PRS so she would be there to facilitate discussions or discipline rowdy kids. Let me know if you're interested or want more details.

    Also, the other day I was thinking about which motivational speakers I know of and what possible kind of advice I could share. Martin Luther King Jr. (...and Obama) were the first names to pop in my head. For me, what made MLK such a motivational speaker was the fact that he had passion, an important message, and he spoke of universal truths. If your Time and Energy Investing series has those elements, I think i'd be hooked on your speeches too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grant,

    I would jump at the opportunity Leah has presented you, but be sure that you have a clear idea of what you're attempting to motivate that audience to do. (As an aside, for a wonderfully tongue-in-cheek but telling take on the life of the professional motivational speaker, you could do worse than to check out George Clooney's "What's in Your Backpack?" bit in the movie _Up in the Air_.) Is your talk going to be standardized for all audiences--a "one success fits all" approach--or are you planning to tailor for the problems most likely to be confronted by the population you're targeting in a given talk?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah has great resources! I would also be willing to give feed back. I am a person that likes to try the impossible things, you should send in your work to motivational speaker and get feedback from them. Covey is awesome. Im sure he'd be willing to help you out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grant,
    following up on Kate's note about Steven Covey and Mark's about the wonderful backpack speech in the movie, will you be taking into account how others have developed into good and well paid motivational speakers?
    Do you know Bruce Jackson, who recently left the leadership program at UVU? He might be a good resource.
    And finally, the development of your actual ideas will be the key. People listened to Covey because his sharpening the saw and all the rest made good sense to them, were new ways of thinking about things, and helped them be better at what they were doing.
    Write. Write. Think. Write. Write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grant,

    Here is the link to the company I mentioned that teaches how to read and understand body language. They also have a program to train people how to be mentors and coaches. I have gone to the Master of Influence course twice now and love it. I will let you know if I can get you a deal on getting into their next conference.

    http://www.3keyelements.com/new/index.php

    Also, check out the book Millionaire Upgrade: Lessons in Success From Those Who Travel at the Sharp End of the Plane by Richard Parkes Cordock

    I am willing to offer my photography services if you want new or updated head shots. I can even come and photograph at one of your seminars so you have images you can put on a website or fliers, etc. I also do design work for print, such as fliers, brochures, ad cards, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does your computer have a webcam? You could easily upload practice speeches, or even sound bytes to us, and we could tell you how they go over with this audience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ben's idea sounds great! If you were able to record some ideas and post the videos on your blog the whole class could respond and give you there opinions. That way you would also be getting a wide variety of responses (because we all focus on so many different things).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good stuff. I was curious about how you became interesed in this, and is your outlook more on helping other people or profiting from this? It's great if it were both, which I'm assuming it is. Also who is the audience that you want to target?

    ReplyDelete